Sunday, November 18, 2007

Day 18: In Memoriam

I found out this morning that my friend who was in hospice, Blaine, died last night. My prayers are with his family and those closest to him. He touched many lives in his time here.

One of my favorite moments with Blaine: One night, a few of us had dinner together after our church's young adult group gathering. For some reason I think I started talking to him about how I wanted to be British when I was in college and had a couple of British pen-pals back then, and how I had these plans to move to London after graduation, but now I just put on a horribly fake British accent every now and then to keep myself entertained. He thought that was funny - even though some people would have looked at me like I was nuts after telling them that, he had a way of making people feel accepted and at ease around him.

So, then we started talking about a British pop star that was huge in the U.K. during my college years, whose music I was a fan of back then, even though most Americans hadn't really heard much about him. The pop star's name is Robbie Williams, and, to my surprise, Blaine told me that he was a fan of some of his music as well. After that, he and I had a bit of an inside joke about how we were going to have a Robbie Williams' appreciation gathering to listen to his music, or something to that extent.

This may seem cheesy or hokey or tacky or whatever, but I'm posting a Robbie Williams' video on here that reminds me of that conversation and inside joke. This is a video for a song called Angels (I picked this one for the song and its lyrics, not really for the actual music video):